Packing & Preparation Pointers
With today’s economy more and more people are finding it necessary to relocate in order to find work. Relocating can be stressful, but there are ways to help ease the pain of your big move. With these helpful packing pointers you will be able to move your possessions to your knew home in fewer boxes AND less stress!
Use only strong, corrugated cartons with covers. You can buy specially made cartons, for everything from mattresses to clothing and mirrors, from the mover. The added protection of mover-provided cartons may avoid damage that results from the use of poor-quality packing materials. You alternative is to collect boxes discarded by your grocer or liquor store. Save old newspapers for use in packing, but remember that ink may rub off and stain clothing or other items.
WARNING: Insect eggs and insects such as roaches can travel in food boxes. Keep this in mind when getting boxes from food stores.
Here’s a list of packing supplies that will come in handy:
– Plastic bags and labels for easy identification
– Foam peanuts, styrofoam pellets or “popcorn”
– Tissue or craft paper for delicate packing jobs
– Corrugated paper rolls for figurines and fragile items
– Gummed tape (1 1/2″ or 2″ wide) and/or strong twine for sealing cartons
– Markers and labels for identifying contents of cartons
– Notebook and pencil for carton identification log
– Scissors and/or sharp knife
Before actually packing-up, you need to have a game plan. For Example:
– Pack one room at a time. This will help you when it comes time to unpack.
– Pack a couple of cartons a day, starting well ahead of the move.
– Mark all boxes, designating room and box number. Make a carton identification log to show the number of boxes packed per room, and the total number of boxes packed. It’s a good idea to leave space in your log for a special comments section to note cartons conditions or location of high value goods. Notify your mover of any high value items.
– Be sure to have plenty of “filling” material available.
– Be sure that the bottoms of all cartons are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
– Packing tape or gummed tape is better than masking tape.
– Pack heavier items toward the bottom of the box and lighter items toward the top. Try to pack each box so that it weighs 50 pounds or less; it makes moving a lot easier. A general rule to remember on carton size – the heavier the item, the smaller the carton.
– Select a medium-sized carton (or mover provided dish pack) and line the bottom of the carton with packing paper.
– With packing paper stacked neatly in place on a worktable, center one plate on the paper. – Grasp a corner on several sheets of packing paper and pull the paper over_the plate until sheets corners cover the plate. State a second plate on and, moving clockwise, grasp a second corner and bull sheet over second plate. Start a third plate. Grasp remaining two corners, folding two sheets of each corner (one at a time) over plate.
– Turn your wrapped stack of plates upside down onto your packing paper.
– Re-wrap the entire bundle: start with one corner of packing paper and pull two sheets over the bundle, cover the bundle with next corner, then third corner, and finally the fourth.
– Seal the bundle with packing tape
– Place the bundle of dishware in a medium-size box so that the plates are standing on edge.
– Use this process on all saucers, bread and butter dishes and other dishware. When packing smaller dishes you may choose to stack in greater quantity.
– With packing paper in place on the worktable, position one cup six to eight inches from one of the corners.
– Now pull the near corner of the paper up and over the cup.
– Nest a second cup directly on top, with handle to left (second cup should “nest” itself in packing paper over the bottom cups).
– Pull the two side corners up and over, one at a time, and tuck corners inside the top cup.
– Hold the bottom and top cup in position and roll cups to the remaining corner. Fragile mixing bowls can be packed in the same manner.
– Delicate cups, like china, should be wrapped one at a time. Antique glass or china should be stuffed with crumpled tissue and wrapped one at a time.
Packing Glasses and Stemware
– Stuff glasses and stemware with crumpled tissue or packing paper before wrapping.
– Lay on the corner of packing paper and roll it one or two full rotations (depending on size); pull sides of paper up and over glass
– Place glasses and stemware toward the top of your box. Heavier items (dishware, pitchers, etc.) should be placed toward the bottom of the box.
– Delicate glassware and stemware should be placed in an upright position, not on its side.
– No matter what you’re packing, you should use crumpled packing paper in between each layer to assure support wherever there’s a gap. All boxes with “fragile” items should be marked accordingly.
Specialized Packing Tips
The list of individual household items is endless. Most can be packed by following our packing pointers. Here are additional packing tips for major items. If you want a more comprehensive list of how to pack special items please contact us.
Source: Scully Statewide Moving
About the Author
does anyone know how many pepsi stuff points the xbox 360 pro value bundle pack is?
I wana get it but dont know if it’s worth it
around $ 2.37
Assassins Creed PSP Bundle Pack Unboxing
Fujifilm Instax Mini Instant Film 5 Pack BUNDLE, Candy Pop, Stained Glass, Stripe, Shiny Star, Single pack : 10 sheets X 5 Pack Assort Bundle = 50 Sheets! BONUS-FREE Wiki Deals Colorful Micro Fiber Cloth!
ujifilm Instax Mini Instant Film 5 Pack BUNDLE, Candy Pop, Stained Glass, Stripe, Shiny Star, Single pack : 10 sheets X 5 Pack Assort Bundle = 50 Sheets! BONUS-FREE Wiki Deals Colorful Micro Fiber Cloth!…
OnePlus3 / OnePlus3T Case and Accessory Bundle Pack by Orzly – Includes: 1x Car Charger, 1x TypeC Charging Cable, 1x Glass Screen Protector, 1x Stylus Pen, 1x RingStand, plus 3 different Phone Cases
Introducing… The OnePlus3/3T Orzly Case and Accessory Bundle Pack(The Must-Have All-in-One Accessory Pack for all OnePlus 3 & OnePlus 3T SmartPhone owners)INCLUDED IN THIS BUNDLE PACK:- 1x Orzly Multi-Functional Wallet for OnePlus 3/3T (Black) – Protection for your device with a built-in stand and slots for your most used credit/debit or ID cards (original price £14.99)- 1x Orzly-Grip-Pro Case …
Fujifilm Instax Mini Instant Film Giant Bundle(5 Twin Packs, 100 Total Pictures) + 120 Sticker Frames, 10 Plastic Desk Frame, 20 Hanging Clips with String, Micro-fiber Cleaning Cloth
Fujifilm Instax Mini Instant Film…
Fox Titan Youth Combo Pack – Bundle with Roost Protector, Knee Guards, Elbow Guards for Dirt Bike, BMX, Mountain Bike (Medium/Large (6-9 years old))
SportsProtective has assembled a combo pack that’s perfect for little dudes that are a little crazy. The Fox Titan Youth Combo Pack includes the Fox Titan Youth Roost Deflector, Fox Titan Elbow Guards, and Fox Titan Knee/Shin Guards. Built with hard shells and soft padding, children as young as 3 or 4 will find this comfortably padded armor easy to put on and take off. You’ll appreciate the durabi…
Samsung Convoy 4 – Premium Bundle Pack – Micro USB Car Charger + Travel Wall Charger + Atom LED
The wall charger and car charger are individually sealed in their own packaging. Both the wall and car charger have an excellent quality build, not cheap and flimsy like other accessories. Both come with built in I/C chips that prevent the phone from charging too fast and overcharging the battery. Phone can be used while charging on both the wall and car charger, but we suggest you do not operate …
VicoVation OPIA2 2K 1440p HDR Dashcam Premium Pack Bundle with 64GB MicroSD Card
With the powerful Ambarella A12 processor, Vico-Opia2 delivers footage that’s sharper, richer and more detailed. Combined with powerful and brand new features: the upgraded Smart Parking Surveillance and Time-Lapse Video, Vico-Opia2 is the most advanced, highest-performing VicoVation dash camera ever. Recording resolution on Vico-Opia2 goes all the way up to 2K Ultra-HD 1440p HDR (2560×1440 HDR). …
BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light – Silver and Fitted Sheet Bundle Pack
Sleeping away from home has never been easier thanks to the BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light. This travel crib is perfect to take with you on trips. Weighing only 13 pounds, the travel crib sets up in one simple movement and comes with a handy carrying case….